Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Pick Your Poison

Head on over to zztop.com and pick the songs you want the band to play! Billy, Frank and Dusty have began rehearsals for their upcoming 2010 tour and want to know what songs you want them to add to their set list!

Okay, sounds like a fantasy right. The opportunity to have influence, to convey wishes, for a personalized set list. There is indeed a survey asking the question. So do make sure to check it out if you haven't already done so.

This "fantasy" is somewhat mitigated by the fact there are eight pre-determined songs to choose from, out of which you can pick three, but I'm not complaining. Some of the songs are quite interesting.

- Viva Las Vegas
- Fearless Boogie
- Bear Drinkers and Hell Raisers
- Francine
- Thunderbird
- TV Dinners
- Rhythmeen
- Bang Bang Shangalang

"TV Dinners"? Seriously? I actually like the song and have always thought it came across well live when played in 1983. I'm not sure I can see the band playing it now though.

"Fearless Boogie". One of the more radio friendly tracks off of "XXX", this may have been why it was pretty much the only song played from that album during the 1999 - 2000 tour. If I can only pick three however this is not one of them.

"Viva Las Vegas".  I can dig it. Always keen to hear Dusty belt them out, I strongly considered this one before passing. To my knowledge it was last played in the Spring of 2007.

"Francine".  Oh hell yeah. Essential. This was definitely going to be one of my choices, I had the box checked before I even finished reading the paragraph at the top of the page. Last played in Spring of '07.

"Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers". I like this one, one of the few that Billy and Dusty take turns singing together. The song is very short however, one I also felt would benefit from a little elaboration or jamming, ala "Arrested For Driving While Blind". Last played in 2003.

"Thunderbird". Song pick number two. Great track, going back to the very early days. Excellent show opener. For the love of all that is good please replace "Got Me Under Pressure"  with this song.

"Rhythmeen". Very interesting option, my third pick. The definition of low down, dirty blues. Talk about it, play it, sing it. Would be awesome to hear again. Not played since 1997.

"Bang Bang Shangalang". I love this song. The chorus is obviously simplistic and almost comical, but again as with "Rhythmeen" this is dirty blues at it's best.

Okay,  now my concern. After you make your selections and submit your picks, you are redirected to the ZZ Top store with a $5 credit that will be applied to any purchase. I am extremely hopeful that the survery will actually reach the band and the top picks be taken into consideration. Please don't let this be a marketing ploy.

Hopefully when the first show comes on April 23rd (16 days!) three of these eight tracks will be played. It would be great to hear some of the songs that true fans love, not the same old tracks that are played on pre-programmed soul-less classic rock radio stations (what ever happened to the DJ picking the songs to play?)

If anyone who reads this is going to the April 23 show in Tyler, TX please come forward. I would love to have the opportunity for you to relay the set list once the show is over so that all readers will have an opportunity to see what the 2010 version of ZZ Top will bring. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment