Saturday, October 9, 2010

Random Concert Thoughts - Richmond VA 09/14/2010

Sorry I never got around to posting a full review of the Richmond, VA show I attended. I will say it was very enjoyable and the band, especially Billy, seemed very loose and relaxed. Several times his words were slurred and he seemed to lose focus momentarily. Billy's not much of a drinker so I'm guessing he was under the influence of a greener substance.

After one song, I can't remember which, he commented on the green and even pulled out what had the obvious appearence of a joint. Whether it was filled with the good stuff or mere tobacco is unclear, but in the case of this band it's likely the former.

Virginia is a relatively conservative state, much more so than the Northeast or California. Despite the conservatisim, and a substantial tobacco industry, Virginia recently voted to outlaw smoking indoors. Exceptions are made only if the facility in question has a separate ventilation system that can isolate smokers from non-smokers. I make this point in regards to Frank's chain smoking throughout the show. One only needs to read the tabloids to see the many exceptions regarding the law that are made for movie stars and such. I for one have no problem with Frank smoking indoors, and no one else did either. He has paid his dues and if he wishes to enjoy his smokes more power to him. But I would not be suprised if one day a venue tells him no can do.

Billy appeared to be particularly enamored with the acoustics of the venue. Frank's bass drum had a strikingly strong effect, shaking the entire building. Billy would often let up on the guitar and begin pumping his fists to the beat in obvious jubilation. The crowd was thrilled.

Prior to the show I had dinner at a restaurant adjacent to the venue. I noticed the band's tour buses were parked on the street just outside the diner's west windows. Requesting a seat next to the window I figured at some point Billy or Dusty or Frank would appear. Sure enough, having just taken a bite of my chicken wrap I looked over and saw Billy not five feet away from me. Normally when that close I would have reached out to offer my praise and shake hands, but in this case the glass made such an exercise impossible. I do not believe he even would have heard me shout, and to have knocked on the glass in excitment with a huge dumb grin on my face would have no doubt been met with stares and laughter.

The set list was the same as the show I saw in Pennsylvania back in August. The Richmond show was also the last show before they joined up with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. Would have loved to have heard some "Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers" or "Viva Las Vegas" but it was not to be.

I am very excited to see what the upcoming 11 date European tour brings. Hopefully we will be privy to some first hand accounts.

No comments:

Post a Comment