Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Sanctify, Sanctify

Seeing as how ZZ's last record was Mescalero, released in 2003 (going on seven years ago!), and the fact the band is allegedly currently in the studio working on the new album, I reasoned reviewing "Sanctify", a bonus track off the Japan edition of Mescalero.

Listed as track number 17, Sanctify is of a conservative and familiar structure. Featuring a "well-ell" Elvis style vocal from Dusty to open proceedings, Billy comes in with a slightly distorted and somewhat thin guitar lead. Billy has vocal duties, and throughout the verses and chorus his voice is treated and altered electronically. Note this bending and "machining" of vocals was popular in pop music around this time (2002 - 2003). Guitar solo is nothing extraordinary, merely sufficient. A short sequence featuring backwards echo is used on the guitar lead near the end of the song, which is pleasing and adds a bit of flair. The outro solo is again sufficient, without breaking any creative or styling ground. The track is followed by the familiar "As Time Goes By" hidden track at the end of the U.S. version.

Sanctify is a satisfying song, nothing great. Its not "Isn't Love Amazing" in any stretch of the imagination. Better than Antenna's Mary's though.

Mescalero is a fantastic album, second only to Rhythmeen in the RCA era, in my opinion. The 17 tracks, plus the hidden track, results in almost 75 minutes of music. This is nearly double some ZZ albums. Maybe that's the reasoning behind waiting seven years to put out a new record. Either way, bring on the new music.

**
Agree with what I have to say? Disagree with my thoughts? Think I'm an idiot? Let me know! Comment with your own thoughts and opinions. This band creates a lot to talk about. Share your experiences!
**

4 comments:

  1. Hello

    I have some original ZZ Top cds, but I really need those "bonus tracks", especially "Isn't Love Amazing" and "Sanctify". Can you upload those songs, please?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm looking for those japanese bonus tracks too ... upload?? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking for "Sanctify," "Ninja Shack," and "Isn't Love Amazing." I have been unable to find any of these three tracks and I would be really grateful to anybody who can help me. I have literally thousands of live bootlegs from dozens of rock bands that I would be happy to provide access to. Contact me at whoru_98@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. have all these tracks except for sanctify, could someone provide? anpassungsfabrik@gmx.at grateful thanks

    ReplyDelete