Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Big Sydney; Charlottesville VA; Thoughts

As I post this (8:15 PM Eastern Standard Time) ZZ is in between the two big Australia shows, namely 27/04/2011 and 28/04/2011 in Sydney. These are the final shows of what appears to have been a very successful and enjoyable endeavor. None of the news reports / concert reviews have been very detailed however so specifics are hard to come by. The set list was posted earlier and as mentioned was not particularly exciting or inspiring.

I am hopeful that at least one of the Sydney concerts will be recorded and circulated. I am aware of a number of tapers in the area that frequent rock and hard rock concerts so it is hoped a recording from OZ, the first I am aware of since Melbourne 1987, will become available.

-----

I have purchased tickets to my first show of the year: May 31st in Charlottesville, VA, USA. I chose this location due to the close proximity to my home but also the fact that it is the first show in the US without Lynyrd Skynyrd. This means the set list should be longer and more exciting, hopefully including some rarities and obscurities that likely will not be played during the one hour set when co-headlining with Skynyrd. I am very hopeful, but realistic, in my anticipation of the playlist. I do not however expect any new songs from the promised new album; those will likely be played in late summer and early autumn when ZZ returns from Europe, if they are played at all.

-----

If anybody is attending the Charlottesville show let me know, I'm happy to meet up beforehand.

1 comment:

  1. I went to the 27th of April show in Sydney. I can confirm the play list was the same as you previously listed.

    This was the first time I've ever been to a ZZ Top show, so I would have accepted anything lol. If I went to more shows during this tour, then I'd understand the repeating playlist issue.

    There's a number of songs my wife and I would have liked to have heard (Mexican Blackbird, Tube Snake Boogie, Rough Boy, etc) but I'm happy just having finally got to a show.

    I still think the show could have been another 20-30 minutes longer as well IMO.

    Here's a review link I found of the show, http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/music/news/blog/live-review-zz-top--enmore-theatre-sydney/20110428-c4ke.html

    Cheers, Glen

    ReplyDelete