Saturday, April 21, 2012

1974, New Orleans, The Warehouse; Set List (Not that again?!)

Would anybody else besides me be incredibly interested in the band releasing the entire recording of the 1974-04-12 New Orleans Warehouse recording, which can be heard in part on the first side of Fandango? I mean really, 1974 ZZ was some heavy stuff, and if the entire show features the clarity, energy and ambiance that is partially revealed on Fandango, then it would surely be a huge release. We have seen the official release of Rockpalast so why not?

-----

Each year I do the same thing - predict an overly hopeful set list and then complain when nothing close to it materializes. Not this year. The band can obviously play what they want. The only good bet on hearing anything unique is the Rodeo, which is why I drove 22 hours each way to Houston back in March.

Here is my "realistic" take on the set list, at least for the "Outlaws" tour:
- One or two songs from the new album, likely to include "25 Lighters"
- The retirement of "I Need You Tonight"; hope to hear "Fool For Your Stockings" again
- Return of "Heard It On the X"
- Inclusion of "Grace", "Chevrolet", or "She Loves My Automobile" as the rare song insert

I hope this is as "realistic" as I think it is....

4 comments:

  1. I 100% agree with you! "Heard It On The X" is great live. The recording of "Chevrolet" that is on YouTube from Pensacola, FL on The Worldwide Texas Tour is great. I've seen 'em 13 times and it has never been played. I would also like to see "just Got Back From Baby's" added. Dusty's bass sounds so good in that song. And now for the one that I have always wanted to see performed live- "Nasty Dogs And Funky Kings" !! The fade out ending to that song is as good as it gets! I would go nuts for the entire Warehouse in New Orleans full show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you Rebzz - "Just Got Back from Baby's" or "Nasty Dogs and Funky Kings" would be great to hear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although it's definitely worth the drive, next time you can fly to the Rodeo for about the price of the gas!

    Sr. Volto

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was realistic:
    - One new song: I Gotsta Get Paid
    - The retirement of I Need You Tonight, Vincent Price's Blues got in
    - Return of Heard It On The X
    - Rare song inserts: Heaven Hell or Houston, Stages, Beer Drinkers & Hell Raisers, My Head's In Mississippi (full version), I Thank You, Thunderbird

    We surely can't complain about the setlist.
    Hopefully on the next tour: 5 songs from La Futura

    ReplyDelete